Saturday, January 24, 2009

Homemade Corn Dogs

The story behind these boogers...well not real boogers, you catch my drift. But anyway, the story behind these is...I am doing a Winter Book Challenge (WBC) and one of the challenges to get 25 points is to read a book and make a meal inspired by the book. Well, I read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, which book I highly recommend, it's a circus themed book back in the great depression, very interesting read. So I decided that I would make corn dogs because you can get those are the circus, and those would be "circus food". Which landed me 25 points for my Book Challenge.

Source: My Grandma - Margaret McConnell

This is an old cafeteria school recipe that my grandma used to make back in the day. If you scroll down and find the noodles...ahh, those are awesome and also inspired by my grandma.

Ingredients:
1 c. flour
2 T. sugar
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. paprika
2/3 c. corn meal
2 T. oil
1 egg
3/4 c/ milk
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
hot dogs
wood sticks ( I omitted these and made little corn dogs, pictured right)

Mix all ingredients together. put hot dogs on sticks and dip into the batter. Drop in hot oil and cook until brown. It's that easy!!

This recipe is in a cookbook from my Mom's hometown called Gardner in Kansas. This is their 150th year cookbook. 1857-2007 I thought I would share the little note that was at the bottom.

Note: Marg and Russell came to Gardner in 1952. Over the years, Russell was Mayor of Gardner, City Clerk and was named Citizen of the Year.

My Grandparents were some pretty awesome folks! My Grandmother still resides in Gardner, but my Grandfather passed away right before I was born. Kind of neat getting recipes passed down through generations. This is my first time making this, but won't be my last.

3 comments:

Shawna said...

Those look fabulous! Hey, check out my latest blog post! ;)

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

I love corn dogs and have never tried to make thse at home. I'll have to give it a shot. I gave you some awards on my blog:)

Alicia said...

I am reading this book right now and so far I really like it. These corn dogs look great! I will have to try them for a Superbowl party this weekend :)